Wednesday, September 12, 2007

the LATE Kulthau theory

Kulthau's theory essentially examines the gap between the user and the information/knowledge he wishes to attain through his/her research proccess. Because we aren't sure exactly where we are going with our research, we know there is a question at hand but we don't know exactly what the outcome will look like, our topics and work is subject to change.

This precisely exemplifies my research experience. I began with a topic I picked, psychology, because it interested me. However, I wasn't exactly sure what question I would pose to further narrow my research. Once I began retreiving information - that is, briefly googling my topic - I was able to attain a better idea of where I was heading. As I continue to search and retrieve information, my topic becomes more narrow and specific. My project begins to shape nicely, and part of the reason this is so, is due to the journey taken through the research process. This is exactly what Kulthau theorizes.

No comments: